Thursday, May 5, 2011

Should we pray for our enemies or rejoice in their death?

This was started May 2nd...

Good morning, sweet boy. This morning will certainly live in infamy, as the world awakens to the news of Osama Bin Laden's death. Osama was responsible for the September 11 attacks on the United States. I am so glad you were not alive to witness this horrible event, but it is definitely one to remember. He will forever live on in our history books. When you are older there will be a perfect time to share with you more about this terrible terrible tragedy.I want to give a huge thank you to our troops and I am so glad that the families of these victims finally have a sense of peace.

However, I do have a little bit of mixed emotions about this. As I was watching celebrations and reading reactions all over the web, I couldn't help but wonder why people were celebrating death and did not celebrate the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ in the same manner. I found myself a little bit sad, so I opened up the bible for guidance and found these verses which helped me work through these emotions.

Say to them, 'As surely as I live, declares the Sovereign LORD, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn from their ways and live. Ezekiel 33:11

"You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven.
Matthew 5:43-45

After having a moment to reflect on my response to this historical moment I feel that this grieves the heart of God. Jesus takes this teaching to a new level in the verses listed above. For the God of the Bible takes no pleasure in the death of evil people, even a terrorist. I love the way God works in our life! He is so good!

One day EVERY knee shall bow. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment